Tag Archives: Delaware Lackawanna & Western

New EL SD45-2 Unit #1700 Painted by NS

NS has done it again- this time they have painted up an EL SD45-2 Unit #1700, ex-Erie-Lackawanna (EL) back into original EL paint, as number 1700. This unit was painted in the Altoona, PA ex-PRR/PC/CR- now NS shops.

NS aquired a few of these ex-EL units, and are usually used on the eastern part of the NS system. However 1700 should be seen across the system. So get your cameras ready.

Great to see an EL unit on the rails once again, especially being true ex-EL! The EL used many types of locomotives for their freight trains. They even used old E-units

EL was formed in 1961 as a result of the Delaware Lackawanna & Western (DLW) & the Erie railroads merging. The EL was a great railroad, cared about their employees, and became a favorite to many. It’s main downfall was due to having parralle lines, and most of the main route from Chicago to New York bypassed all major cities. They had to connect the main line to these cities by secondary lines, which turned out to be not as efficient. Also both railroads were losing money around the time of the merger, although it made profits in the mid 1960s. In 1972, the EL filed for bankruptsy. In 1976, it finally asked to be included with the newly-formed Conrail.

Most of the EL was taken up by CR after 1976. Most can say that CR was actually the PC, with ost of the employees, trackage, and equipment being from the PC, just now in different colors. Left-overs of the EL can still be seen today- sometimes a freight car on trains (we saw EL coal hoppers within the past year on an NS train), a boxcar or two being used as a shed somewhere, ROWs, bridges, viaducts, facilities, etc.

The EL once again is on the rails, as an exmaple of restored railroad history.